Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Home Schooling

So as everyone must know by now, we are home schooling Ella and Eli. We chose this, not to "protect" our children, which seems to be needed nowadays, but we chose this because the school systems are really behind mainland schools (including Mississippi...yikes). We chose the Abeka curriculum, which is a wonderful Christian based education and aligns itself with the highest state standards. This program can be bought in kits, to include the lesson plans for parents. The total cost for everything was around $700.00, which is what we would have spent on all the school supplies for both kids public education and school uniforms. This curriculum is great, except kindergarten is not challenging Eli as much as I like since he is so brilliant :) Ella is loving her classes, but there are so many books we keep getting off track, which I hope to get more organized soon. I have also added in an additional science book to the Abeka curriculum to get the kids more "involved" in the work they do. I chose Botany by Apologia books, which shows children all the science behind plants and trees and how it aligns itself with God's creation of the earth. It is phenomenal and the kids are learning Latin words as well. I will also be teaching them Spanish, as soon as we gain access to Rosetta Stone (free to military!) For all the followers of my blog, I will try to post more information if Home Schooling is something that you may want to do in the future.

1 comment:

  1. Abeka is an awesome program and you will be satisfied with it. Good luck teaching :) You will be surprised at how much Emmy will pick up along with them. If there is anything I can help with, let me know. Love ya'll. Cheryl

    ReplyDelete