Saturday, March 14, 2015

Emmy's cruisin' now!


This week has been draining.  Emotional. Tearful.  I am not sure what sparked it, but I have been a wreck.  Hormones, maybe.  Seeing our child in this condition for over 7 months has worn us down.  We are frustrated, angry, shaking our fists at the One who made us.  Our feeble minds are still just trying to grasp what in the world is going on.  But then we see those small signs of hope that things are getting better.

Emmy had her second swim therapy session the other day and tried getting out after 15 minutes.  The heat of the pool and the amount of calories her body burns because of muscles constantly contracting made her want to quit.  But her therapist kept her going for 40 minutes, then we ate Schlotzsky's, any fast food makes her little steroid filled body happy!  But when her body is so fatigued, she doesn't have the energy to get her voice audible or even sit up on her own.  But her mind is quick as lightening!  She is thinking and analyzing all day long.  Which scares me...

We were in the kitchen and she was in the living room.  I heard her faint sound and went and grabbed her to come into the kitchen with us.  All of a sudden she starts pointing at everyone.  She cries out, "Daddy walks, Eli walks, I want to walk... I want to walk"!!!  This just ripped me apart.  I know she is thinking it all the time when Everett is running through the house or Eli runs to the door when someone knocks.  We just don't mention those things that she can't do, because she cries hard and then I cry and then the whole family is an emotional wreck.  

Then she said, "Bring me my walker"! So she practiced walking for about 15 feet then I bathed her and put her to bed.  And then, once again, I am reminded that "Joy comes in the morning".  When she woke up, her voice was strong, she used her walker first thing down the hallway and her right leg (affectionately called Allen) was moving like it should (her left leg, Boudreaux, was named by Mimi).  

Another day and another blessing comes as an unexpected surprise from our neighbor, Sandra, telling us that her friend is thinking of donating a scooter, since his wife had just passed.  I tell her it would be an absolute blessing for Emmy to have it to go on walks with us or even go from the living room to the kitchen.  Well, he agreed and this morning, upon Randy doing some minor modifications, Emmy is cruisin' and can't stop laughing!  She has already scratched the walls and some furniture, but she is quite the navigator!  We, of course, have told her that this is temporary and will still have to use her walker, but she is so happy!!!  Thank you so much, Allen and Sandra, for thinking of our Emmy.  


PS. I can't wait for the day I can give it back, because that means our little chicken is walking more than sitting!!!

Upcoming dates:  MRI April 1st and if all looks well, another IVIG treatment April 3rd.


No comments:

Post a Comment